“An Uncomplicated Approach to Writing the Perfect Wedding Vows“
Vows are such a beautiful way to personalize your wedding day. However, if you’re feeling overwhelmed by the idea of putting pen to paper, know that you’re not alone. Vows don’t come easily to everyone but there are a few guidelines that you can follow to make sure your vows are perfect for your wedding day.
A 5-Step Approach to Writing Vows
- Express Your Love. Start by telling your partner how much you love and care for them. You may have said these three words a lot of the years but today, they’re extra-special.
- Add in a personal anecdote. Adding in a sweet story about your partner or your relationship is a wonderful way to look back on the past with fondness and it adds a personal touch to your vows. This doesn’t have to be anything big if you don’t want it to be. It can even be something small that you love about your partner.
- How have you grown? When you choose to spend your life with someone, you’re always growing and learning. Ask yourself how you have changed for the better since meeting your partner and find a way to work that into your vows.
- Make a promise. What are some of the things you want to do for your partner once you’re married? Adding a promise to your vows is a dedication from the heart. This doesn’t have to be several grand promises either. You know best what you could do for your partner that would mean the world to them. Your promise should always be meaningful and most importantly, realistic.
- Thank your partner. End your vows off by thanking your partner and tell them what you’re looking forward to about the future.
Don’t leave your vows for the last minute, start writing them as early as possible. There’s no need to dive into intimate paragraphs right away either, simply start with a few bullet points to get your thoughts together.
When you do start turning your thoughts into a speech of sorts, start with a full-length draft. Once you have this down, you can start editing your vows. Keep editing until you feel like your vows are as meaningful and impactful as possible – they really don’t need to be long to tick these boxes.
Feel free to let your personality shine through in your vows – this is between you and your partner after all.
Lastly, practice your vows before your big day, especially if you’re nervous about speaking in front of other people.
We hope these tips were helpful to you!